"Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."
Hello, welcome to my homeschool blog. There is a lot of information in the margins. I have looked at one or more of the products or did some time on the sites. There is alot of information and sites to set up an awesome homeschool for your children. So, grab a cup of tea and make yourself comfortable. I hope you find what you need. God bless you from the Ross Family.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

So You Want to Homeschool?


Girly Comments & Graphics
So you are thinking about Homeschooling your child. Before you homeschool, there are some things you may want to look into first. In my state, we are recommended to have a supervised teacher or we can portfolio. I chose to portfolio on both of my children. First of all, I do not have to have all the visits with my supervised teacher and I do not have to pay as much. Secondly, it gives me wonderful notebooks with all of their work and I am able to see the improvements from one week to the next. Your state may have you do something different. I would first look into this site http://www.hslda.org/. This is a wonderful site, it gives you information about your state laws, different cases that they are working on and even a page to get worksheets. The Home School Legal Defense is a smart idea, I highly recomend that you become a member of this association.

After you have looked into Home School Legal Defense, I recommend a book that I really loved. It is called, "So You Want To Homeschool?" by Lisa Welchel. Two years after I started homeschooling, I ran across this book. I thought, why should I read this, but I did. I am so glad that I did. Lisa interviews several families and tells you how they homeschool. It is really good. Packed with alot of ideas and different ways of homeschooling. You can look at the book on http://www.lisawelchel.com/. Another good book to look into is "Educating the Whole Child," by Sally Clarkson. Sally's website is http://www.wholeheart.org/. She is amazing and she gives so much information. She talks more about the Charlotte Mason approach also. There is this test in the book to determine your childs learning style. It is worth it. I hope that some of this helps you to determine weather you want to homeschool or not. I love homeschooling my children and it is really benificial. God bless you from Tanya


1 comment:

Amico Dio said...

This is a great post! Good job!!

:o)